Nursing—the profession with unlimited opportunities! Our mission in the Rockford University Nursing Department is to prepare registered professional nurses to provide quality nursing care to individuals, families, groups and communities with diverse health needs. In the tradition of Jane Addams, a Rockford University alumna and Nobel Peace Prize winner, nursing students are challenged to think critically, act compassionately, and engage with their wider community. They touch people’s lives inside and outside of the classroom with community-based learning projects.
If you are an individual with strong abilities in the sciences and the desire to have an impact on the health of our communities in new and creative ways, the nursing profession at Rockford University might be just what you are looking for.
Information about the Nursing Department:
- Application for Admission to Nursing Major – Revised Oct 2018
- Nursing Student Handbook 2017-2018
- IL Center for Nursing
- Rockford University Program Outcomes Report for 3.28.2018
RU Nursing Interprofessional Education (IPE) Initiatives:
- IPE Simulation with SwedishAmerican Hospital (SAH): RU Nursing and UIC Medicine students will be performing simulations that involve the high-fidelity manikin ‘Victoria’. This manikin simulates labor and delivery, infant delivery with shoulder dystocia, postpartum hemorrhaging, and other various obstetrical emergencies.
- IPE Leader to Leader Mentorship Program: Currently in development is a partnership with Rockford School District 205 titled ‘The Leader-to-Leader’ Mentorship Program’. Rockford University seeks to link Jefferson High School freshmen students with student mentors from RU Nursing, UIC Medicine and UIC Pharmacy students. The purpose of developing this new partnership is to inspire the interest of high school students (particularly those who are considered at risk or are underrepresented) to pursue higher education or post-high school career training.
If you would like any additional information regarding these and other IPE program initiatives, please contact Kimberly McCullough ’07 DNP RN, Department Chair of Nursing/Assistant Professor of Nursing at KMcCullough@rockford.edu