Nursing—the profession with unlimited opportunities! Our mission in the Rockford University Nursing Department is to prepare registered professional nurses to provide quality nursing care to individuals, families, groups and communities with diverse health needs. In the tradition of Jane Addams, a Rockford University alumna and Nobel Peace Prize winner, nursing students are challenged to think critically, act compassionately, and engage with their wider community. They touch people’s lives inside and outside of the classroom with community-based learning projects.
If you are an individual with strong abilities in the sciences and the desire to have an impact on the health of our communities in new and creative ways, the nursing profession at Rockford University might be just what you are looking for.
Information about the Nursing Department:
- Application for Admission to Nursing Major – Revised Feb 2018
- Nursing Student Handbook 2017-2018
- IL Center for Nursing
- Nursing Program Outcomes Report
- Calendar – Spring 2018 Skills Lab
Rockford University Department of Nursing is approved by the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (IDFPR) www.idfpr.com and is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, P:404-975-5000, www.acenursing.org.
Nursing Student Support Group Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018
Join us Wednesday, Feb. 7 at noon in Starr 221 to discuss the stress, anxiety and how to cope with the rigors of being a nursing student. Bring your lunch; cookies will be provided.
RU Nursing Interprofessional Education (IPE) Initiatives:
- IPE Day at UIC: In January this year, the RU Nursing Program was involved with Interprofessional Education Day at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). RU Nursing students and RU Faculty members were a part of the IPE Day experience that included the participation of UIC Medicine, UIC Pharmacy and OSF Saint Anthony Nursing program students. In total, this event involved about 200 students. The purpose of IPE Day was to promote interprofessional education through simulation. RU Theater students also participated as Standardized Patients in a simulated hospital discharge setting.
- Art Rounds: The Art Rounds Project is a pilot program that involves the participation of RU Nursing, RU Psychology, UIC Medical and UIC Pharmacy students. With this initiative, students will be evaluating gallery artwork as though it were a “patient”. Evaluating artwork will assist our future healthcare providers in honing observation skills and aid in avoiding the development of bias. The Art Rounds project is a powerful tool in teaching and training students for patient analysis and engagement.
- Bioterrorism Preparedness Project: RU Student participation in a full-scale bioterrorism simulated activity, focused on community exposure to a biochemical agent, will be promoted by the RU Nursing Department this year. RU Nursing, RU Psychology, UIC Medicine and UIC Pharmacy students will experience this event as healthcare service participants. RU Theater students will portray exposed patients in this bioterrorism simulation.
- Haiti Clinical Experience: For the first time, the Rockford University Nursing Department offers an opportunity for RU Nursing students to provide health services to people in Haiti. Select RU Nursing students will have an opportunity to spend a week in Gramothe, Haiti to provide healthcare services in the areas of triage, lab analysis, pharmacy, and in the Haitian clinic. This experience will be provided under the close supervision of RU Nursing Faculty, various Nurse Practitioners, Doctors, Pharmacists and Creole language translators.
- IPE Simulation with SwedishAmerican Hospital (SAH): RU Nursing and UIC Medicine students will be performing simulations that involve the high-fidelity manikin ‘Victoria’. This manikin simulates labor and delivery, infant delivery with shoulder dystocia, postpartum hemorrhaging, and other various obstetrical emergencies.
- IPE Leader to Leader Mentorship Program: Currently in development is a partnership with Rockford School District 205 titled ‘The Leader-to-Leader’ Mentorship Program’. Rockford University seeks to link Jefferson High School freshmen students with student mentors from RU Nursing, UIC Medicine and UIC Pharmacy students. The purpose of developing this new partnership is to inspire the interest of high school students (particularly those who are considered at risk or are underrepresented) to pursue higher education or post-high school career training.
If you would like any additional information regarding these and other IPE program initiatives, please contact Dr. Laura Monahan, DNP, MBA, RN, at email@example.com
Starr Science Building
5050 E. State St.
Rockford, IL 61108
Laura Monahan, DNP, MBA, RN, Dept. Chair
For those interested in the Nursing Program, please contact Admissions at 815-226-4050.