Welcome to Rockford University, Regent! We’re looking forward to having you join us on campus. First-Year Programs are designed to support your first-year experience and connect you to the outstanding opportunities that will help you excel at RU and beyond.
Your Regent Experience begins with SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration), moves into Freshman Orientation & Retreat, and culminates with a First-Year Seminar class led by your academic advisor and Regent Experience Guide pair.
First-Year Seminars introduce students to academic inquiry and community that lie at the heart of a liberal arts education. Led by your Freshman Advisor and supported by Regent Experience Guides, each FYS class will:
- Promote engagement in the curricular and co-curricular life at RU
- Foster a sense of belonging and community
- Help students identify their academic strengths
- Teach the development and application of skills necessary for success in college
Regent Experience Guides (Reggies) are current students who provide advice, guidance, and connection to first-year students. As a first-year student, your Reggies will support your academic and social experiences at Freshman Orientation & Retreat, First-Year Seminar class, and beyond. Reggies can:
- Connect students with campus events, organizations, and activities
- Demonstrate positive first-year student habits
- Guide students to resources and opportunities on campus
- Promote academic support, guidance, and feedback