OFFICE OF GLOBAL AFFAIRS (OGA)
Hello! Hola! Bonjour! Privet! Hej! Guten tag! Ni hao! Konnichiwa!
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) helps prepare Rockford University students, faculty and community constituents for active participation in a rapidly changing global society by internationalizing our campus and curriculum, facilitating experiential learning opportunities, and developing our international partnerships to achieve Rockford University’s strategic objectives.
Mission Statement of the Office of Global Affairs
Create a supportive and interactive learning environment that celebrates multiculturalism by bringing all of Rockford University’s diverse student body together, in such a way that the academic as well as extra-curricular experiences of all students are enhanced and enjoyed.
Services provided by the OGA:
- >> Assist both U.S. and international students in realizing their dreams of studying abroad
- >> Provide services related to U.S. immigration regulations
- >> Offer international student orientation
- >> Provide international student academic advising and support
- >> Assist with tax preparation for international students
- >> Provide translation and interpretation referrals
Fall 2017 OGA Events
- September 12 Global Tastes Saudi Arabia– Cafeteria 11-1 pm
- September 15 Mexican Tea Time – Cafeteria Hallway 12-1 pm
- September 20 DACA Town Hall – Regents 12-1 pm
- September 23 Saudi National Day – Regents 5-7 pm
- October 10 Global Tastes Europe– Cafeteria 11-1 pm
- October 12 European Tea Time – Cafeteria Hallway 12-1 pm
- October 26 Study Abroad Trending Now! – Regents 12-1 pm
- October 31 Pumpkin Painting – Student Center 9-2 pm
- November 2 Day of the Dead – Regents 5-7 pm
- November 7 Hispanic Global Taste – Cafeteria 12-1 pm
- December 7 Scandinavian Tea Time – Cafeteria Hallway 12-1 pm
Global Faculty Fellow
Program Chair and Associate Professor of Physics, Deepshikha Shukla, Ph. D. is the current Global Faculty Fellow at Rockford University. With her experience in the education systems of India and the US, she is passionate about creating a culture where domestic and international students, faculty and staff symbiotically co-habitate. Assimilation of international students at RU and promoting international experience for the entire campus lies at the core of her initiatives. Internationalization is her ‘mantra’.”
Global Ambassador Program
The Global Ambassador Program pairs new international students with a Rockford University student who has been on campus for at least one year. Global Ambassadors assist new international students from the time that a student arrives to Rockford University until the end of her or his first year. The goal of this program is for Global Ambassadors to help international students acclimate to the Rockford University campus and U.S. academic system through post-orientation and first year follow up as a peer mentor for the new student.
Community Friends Program
The Community Friends Program matches families in the Rockford community with international students. These families help international students by giving them the opportunity have authentic cultural experiences in the area and in their homes. Many students who have participated in this program in past years have shared holidays at their ambassador families’ homes and have attended local area attractions with their family.
Core Values of the Office of Global Affairs
- “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” – Mark Twain
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
- Enable everyone to have the opportunity to experience traveling abroad.
Meet Our Staff
Office of Global Affairs (OGA)
Burpee 2nd Floor
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108
Skype ID: sam_rockford
Sam Bandy, Director
Mon-Fri - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Rockford China Office
招生官：胡盼/ Oriana Hu
办公电话：0086+10 6523 8091
手机：0086+186 0024 5278
INTERNATIONAL FOOD FAIR
The annual International Food Fair was held on Saturday, April 16, 2016, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the Burpee Center. Sponsored by Rockford University’s Multicultural Club and the Office of Global Affairs, the International Food Festival featured delicious authentic recipes from countries like Germany, Philippines, Spain, Kyrgyzstan, Japan, China, Sweden, Turkey, Syria, Laos, S. Korea, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Liberia, Mexico and Nigeria.