CENTER FOR LEARNING STRATEGIES (CLS)
The Center for Learning Strategies (CLS), formerly the Rockford College® Learning Center, is a service of Rockford University offering academic support to members of the community. Since being established in 1952, the Center has provided remedial and enrichment programs for more than 30,000 people from ages 4-72. The CLS emphasizes quality teaching with a strong commitment to aid each student in attaining academic potential while directing the student towards independent learning and improved personal achievement.
Learn more about all our program
- GRE Workshop
- ACT Workshop
Philosophy of the CLS
The fundamental purpose of the CLS is to provide an educational program designed to maximize individual abilities and potentials because we believe that all people have the right to an educational program best suited to their abilities and needs. To achieve this purpose, the Center provides professional interpretation of learning strengths/weaknesses, recommendations/strategies to develop personal learning plans, a positive learning environment, individual tutoring or small group instruction, a stimulating environment, an appropriate pacing of instruction and instruction at the learner’s skill level.
Our philosophy is based on a dedication to maximize abilities and potential through the educational program.
The philosophy is founded on the belief that:
- individual improvement in academic achievement is attainable;
- individuals possess untapped potential which can be challenged;
- learning occurs through valid teaching methods;
- successful instruction focuses on individual learning styles/needs;
- individuals become academically adept through careful guidance;
- successful achievement leads to further success;
- learning takes place when the student is treated with dignity, respect and worth;
- effective instruction requires dedicated, sensitive and highly qualified instructors and successful learning experiences lead to lifelong learning.
Center for Learning Strategies (CLS)
Starr Science Building
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108
Dr. Karen Walker
CLS Transition Coordinator
Interim CLS Program Coordinator
Academic Year: Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Winter Break: December 16 – 20, 8am – 5pm; Closed Dec 23 – Jan 1; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday January 2 – 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.