APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
Financial Aid Decoded
The world of financial aid can be overwhelming; there are deadlines, FSA ID’s, abbreviations and codes. At Rockford University, we don’t want your first moments with us to be stressful, so we’re here to help you through every step of the way.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA, FAFSA, FAFSA. If you’ve been researching universities and financial aid, most likely you’ve heard this term before. The FAFSA is the ultimate one-stop financial aid tool for you and your family. By filling out the FAFSA form, you will allow the federal government to determine your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). We will then use your EFC to determine your eligibility for grants, loans and the work-study program. Completing the FAFSA is free and easy—so check out our list below and get started.
- As mentioned above, filling out your FAFSA form is step 1. Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov to fill out your FAFSA and to file electronically. You will need our University’s code in order to complete the form. The FAFSA code for Rockford University is 001748.
Academic YearWhen to fill out FAFSAFall 2017–Spring 2018After October 1, 2016Fall 2016–Spring 2017After January 1, 2016
Important note: If you are filing a federal income tax return, FAFSA recommends that you complete the tax return before filing your FAFSA. If you submit the FAFSA before your tax return, you may have to make corrections to the FAFSA if your income or tax information isn’t accurate. This may delay the application process.
- By submitting your FAFSA by March 1, you will have the greatest opportunity to receive the best financial aid package we can give you. Once March 1 passes, we will have awarded the majority of our financial aid packages and will have less federal funds to use and award to students.
- After filing your FAFSA, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) anywhere from one week to four weeks from when you submitted the FAFSA. Your SAR will show all of the information you included in the FAFSA form and your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). If you have chosen Rockford University to receive your EFC information on your FAFSA (university code 001748), FAFSA will send us everything we need to know to calculate your financial aid package.
- Apply to Rockford University or call the Office of Admission at 815-226-4050 or 800-892-2984. If you have applied to Rockford, been accepted and included Rockford University on your FAFSA (university code 001748), we will prepare your financial aid package. A representative from our Office of Student Administrative Services will notify you of your financial aid package by letter.
- Once you receive your financial aid award letter from Rockford University, you have 30 days to accept the package. All you need to do is return the letter we send you with the appropriate paperwork – don’t worry, the letter will explain everything you need to do. Once you’ve accepted your package, we’ll see you when classes start!
Student Administrative Services (SAS)
Nelson Hall--1st floor
5050 E. State Street Rockford, IL 61108
Mon-Thurs - 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
Fri - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm