‌Whether you attended a four-year institution, a community college, or an international institution, and earned a few credits, several credits, or a lot of credits, you’ve started your educational journey and transferring to Rockford University is the next step to becoming Rock Solid.

Applying as a transfer student is actually quite simple and straightforward. Here is some info to start:

  • Transfer students may enter Rockford University at the beginning of the Fall, Spring, or Summer sessions.
  • Students transferring from other colleges must be in good academic standing in order to be considered for standard admission.
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended must be submitted.
  • Admission is determined by calculating the cumulative GPA of all coursework taken at the 100-level or higher.

Transfer Student Checklist

Check that you have arranged for everything on the list below to be sent to Rockford University.

  • An application for Undergraduate Admission
  • Official transcripts from all colleges attended
  • ACT and/or SAT scores (if you are a transfer student with less than 12 semester hours)
  • FAFSA results (when available)

Transferring Credit Before Matriculation

Students may transfer credit from colleges accredited by regional accrediting associations as recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, such as the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Students who have completed an associate of arts, an associate of science, or bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college located in the United States prior to matriculation are deemed to have met all lower-division general education requirements for graduation from Rockford University, and thus are required to complete only one upper division general education requirement, Rhetoric 351.

Transferring credit hours for a Rockford University degree program is subject to these regulations:

  • Official transcripts of all previous collegiate study must be submitted. All course work (outside of a compact agreement) with grades of “C” or better (grades of “C–” are not accepted) from regionally accredited colleges and universities will be evaluated and, if applicable to a bachelor’s degree, applied to the student’s degree plans. All coursework will be accepted at the same level (i.e., 100, 200, etc.) at which it was taken. Coursework graded a “P” is only transferrable if “C” is considered Pass under the previous institution’s grading system.
  • Students who have completed an associate of arts or associate of science degree from a regionally accredited college located in the United States prior to matriculation receive automatic junior class
    standing when they transfer to Rockford University.
  • The applicability of transferred credits to the completion of major or minor requirements is decided by
    the appropriate academic department chair.
  • The full transfer credit policy can be found in the Rockford University Academic Catalog.

To be eligible for a Rockford University degree, students must complete:

  • A minimum of 60 semester hours at a four-year institution.
  • At least 30 of the last 36 semester hours at Rockford University.
  • At least 15 semester hours, including senior seminar, in the major field at Rockford University.
  • Note: Some programs may require students to complete more semester hours at Rockford University than the minimums listed above.

Course Work from Non-Accredited Schools

Course work completed at non-accredited colleges or universities will be evaluated when individuals apply for admission. The evaluation will determine which courses will apply to Rockford University general education, major and minor requirements. When students complete a minimum of 12 semester hours of course work at Rockford University with a grade of “C” or better (grades of “C-” are not acceptable) in all courses attempted, the approved course work from the non-accredited institution(s) will be accepted and applied to students’ Rockford University degrees or majors. Students may also validate course work from non-accredited institutions for a specified numbers of hours by acceptable scores on tests recognized by the University for such purposes.


Office of Admission
Nelson Hall--2nd floor
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108
Fax 815-226-2822
Office of Admission

Mon-Thurs - 8:30 am to 7:00 pm
Fri - 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Sat - 9:00 am to 1:00 pm -- Please call to reserve an appointment on Saturdays.

Chat with an Admission Counselor


Military Friendly School‌Rockford University is a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program and has also been designated a Military Friendly School®, published by Victory Media, as an institution in the top 15 percent of colleges and universities in the U.S. to accommodate students with military experience. The list honors universities and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members and veterans as students.


Meet Our Staff

Our Undergraduate Admission Team is here to help you and your family through every step of our admission process. They’re our Rockford University experts who can make sure you see and hear all about our Rock Solid opportunities.

And they’ve shared some fun statistics, little known facts, and helpful advice, so you can get to know them better. What’s their favorite social media? How many miles do they travel each year to meet prospective students and their families? Are there any dog lovers? Find out!

Meet Our Admission Team >>

Young Women & Girls in Illinois
Rockford University
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108

Project Contacts:
Sharon Meilahn Bartlett, Ph.D., French and Gender Studies
Stephanie Quinn, Ph.D., Classical Studies
Mary Weaks-Baxter, Ph.D., English
Belinda Wholeben, Ph.D., Psychology