11/04/2019 1:10 pm
Rockford University seeks to hire a part-time employee to complete general maintenance tasks on a temporary basis. The selected candidate will work up to 24 hours per week, starting at 9 am and working Monday through Friday. Work may be individual or working within assigned areas with a member of the Maintenance, Grounds, or Housekeeping Staff. Perform general maintenance, grounds, or cleaning duties daily, operate hand tools, riding lawn mowers, snow blowers, vacuums, other Facilities equipment as needed, work from a ladder, and perform related duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Operations. Punctuality and attention to detail are critical components of employment. Hours vary according to projects and tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. General cleaning: bathroom disinfection, sweeping, dust mopping, damp mopping, vacuuming, dusting, washing windows, and picking up trash in designated areas.
2. Major cleaning: walls, woodwork, doors, light fixtures, carpets and furniture.
3. Work from a ladder, assist in moving furniture (able to lift and carry objects up to 25 pounds).
4. Assist Maintenance personnel with routine repairs as required.
5. Assist with room set-ups and take-downs for events.
6. Operate the following equipment: vacuums and wet vacuums, riding lawn mowers, hand tools such as drills, saws, hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, and other equipment as necessary.
7. Vacuum and clean fan coils, check fan motors and change filters.
8. Must present a neat appearance at ALL times. May wear: T-shirts, sweatshirts, jeans, and slacks. May NOT wear: Sleeveless shirts, tank tops, crop tops, shorts, or open-toed shoes and gym shoes. All clothing should be free of offensive or derogatory print/pictures.
9. Ability to set work priorities and to work independently in cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work duties.
10. Work shoes must be work at all times.
11. Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in working with faculty, staff and students with diverse backgrounds including academic, socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation, and disabilities.
A self-starter, must be able to take initiative with minimal guidance when necessary.
Must be comfortable working both as an individual and as part of a team.
Must have excellent time-management skills.
Must be able to follow directions or verbal instructions.
Must be able to operate and maintain all equipment as instructed
Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
Must have good oral and reading skills.
Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
Must have some mechanical or maintenance experience, or experience with housekeeping.
Must possess valid driver’s license, private automobile insurance and be insurable for driving per RU policy.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Ability to speak and understand English.
Prior experience working as a custodian, mechanic, or grounds employee is helpful.
Basic math skills
While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, and kneel. The incumbent may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work outside sometimes in extreme warm or cold temperatures.
Employees work outside or inside campus buildings. When working inside, employees must remember that they are in a professional environment, and they may be seen by visitors and the greater college community. When working outside, employees may be required to work in hot, rainy, snowy, or cold environments.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a resume and list of three professional references to HumanResources@rockford.edu. Selected candidate will undergo a pre-employment background check.
Copyright © 2020 Rockford University, all rights reserved