Home > Current Students > Residence Life > Rights and Responsibilities
As a member of the Rockford College residential and academic communities, residents assume special responsibility for the College's conduct regulations and policies. These policies were adopted to ensure that the community is able to maintain a safe environment and an atmosphere conducive to learning and growing. The policies are primarily enforced by the Residence Life and Safety & Security staffs, but residents should also be playing a role in taking responsibility for the living environment in their halls.
Residents are expected to maintain a standard of conduct appropriate to their status as Rockford College students. Living in a community requires cooperation and respect. In the residence hall, individual rights extend to the point at which a person's activities infringe upon the rights of others. You have the right and responsibility to request consideration from others. You also have the responsibility to respect the rights of others.Roommate Bill of Rights
Roommates have a great responsibility to respect and be respected. We encourage you to discuss the following with your roommate(s):
- The right to read and study in your room free from undue interference.
- The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests of roommates, etc.
- The right to a clean living environment.
- The right to access the room and facilities without pressure from a roommate(s).
- The right to personal privacy.
- The right to house a guest. We expect that guests respect the rights of the host's roommate and other hall residents, and are registered through our Safety & Security Office or with their RA if they plan to stay overnight.
- The right to be free from fear and intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.
- The right to confront and resolve situations. Staff members are available to help mediate the resolution of conflicts.
All Rockford College community members are expected to follow the policies outlined in the Student Handbook
. In addition to, and in accordance with the policies of the State of Illinois, Rockford College, and the Office of Residence Life, the Residence Life policies and procedures are enforced in the residence halls.View Residence Life PoliciesView the Student Handbook