Personal safety begins with you! You are responsible for your own actions and behaviors. Exercise common sense in your daily life. Statistics show theft is the most common crime on the university campuses today. These crimes are mainly due to carelessness. Most thefts on campus occur when rooms are left unlocked and personal property is left unattended.
- Use well-traveled and well-lit routes.
- Do not walk alone; walk in pairs or small groups. Call the dispatcher and ask for assistance from Regent Patrol or the on-duty Public Safety Officer.
- Have your keys or door access card out. Be prepared to enter your vehicle, residence hall or academic building when you arrive.
- Report any burned-out lights to RU Police & Department of Public Safety.
- Report any suspicious individuals or activity to RU Police & Department of Public Safety.
- Protect your personal belongings; lock your door at all times.
- If followed on to campus, walk or drive directly to RU Police & Department of Public Safety and seek assistance.
- Remember you are responsible for your own behavior. Alcohol and other drugs may severely impair your judgment and ability to communicate.
- Trust your instincts. If a situation makes you uncomfortable, leave or ask the other person to leave. Be assertive. Use common sense.
- Do not give your name, address or telephone numbers to people you do not know.
- Never help someone you do not know unless you have a “buddy” to assist you. You never know what that person calling for help may do!
- Familiarize yourself with the campus and community resources.
- Keep all valuables out of sight in your parked vehicle.
- Use locks at all times.
- Do not prop open doors.
- Do not give out any personal or financial information over the Internet, e-mail account or by telephone without first verifying with the firm requesting the information that the request is genuine.
- If you observe an unescorted visitor in your residence hall, notify your RA immediately.
- If your ID card is lost or stolen, notify RU Police & Department of Public Safety immediately.
- When you are out for the evening, let someone on campus know where you are and who you are with, and to report it to The Department of Police and Public Safety authorities if you do not return when you have indicated that you would return to campus.
The above safety tips are provided by RU Police & Department of Public Safety and are intended to help ensure your safety while a member of our campus community.
RU Police & Department of Public Safety
Marland Physical Plant
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108
Tim Trevier, Chief of Police
Jeff Boatwright, Deputy Chief of Police