Loan Processes

Rockford University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program for all Stafford loans.

New Students:
The Office of Student Administrative Services (SAS) will originate your Stafford Loan once you are registered for classes and have completed the following: Master Promissory Note (MPN), entrance counseling, award letter, 2022-2023 Federal Direct Loan Request Form or 2021-2022 Federal Direct Loan Request Form, and Standards of Academic Progress Policy‌.  The MPN will be used for all subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans.  Subsequent Stafford loans accepted by you will be automatically processed under the same MPN in future academic years.

Current Student borrowers:
The Office of Student Administrative Services (SAS) will originate your Stafford Loan once you are registered for classes and have completed a signed award letter and direct loan request form.  You will not need to complete a new MPN, entrance counseling, or SAP as long as you have an active one on file with Rockford University.

Upon completion of all required documents, loan funds will be disbursed through an electronic funds transfer (EFT) to your student account.  Loans cannot be processed after a student becomes ineligible or after the term has ended.

All Borrowers (new, current, and parent):  New beginning for the 2022-2023 academic year, all borrowers must also complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment before loan funds can be processed.  This must be completed annually at

Parents: Rockford University participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.  If you wish to borrow on behalf of your son or daughter in the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) program please complete the following the steps.

Current/New Parent Borrowers:  All NEW and PREVIOUS parent borrowers will need to complete a PLUS loan application after April 15th. The application process determines credit eligibility. You will be required to use your FSA ID to log-in and complete the Federal PLUS application.  If approved for the loan, SAS is not able to originate a Parent PLUS loan until a completed PLUS MPN is on file and the student has completed the financial aid process. If a completed Parent PLUS loan MPN is on file, a new one may not be needed.

Utilizing An Endorser:  An endorser is someone who will pass the credit check and who agrees, similar to a co-signer, to repay the PLUS Loan if the borrower is unable to do so. Almost anyone can serve as an endorser. However, the student cannot serve as an endorser for their parent.

If you choose to obtain an endorser, the endorser should complete the endorser addendum at The endorser will need the PLUS Endorser Code (if a Direct PLUS Loan Request was completed) or Loan Identification Number to connect the endorsement to the denied PLUS Loan. Completing the endorsement online also requires a Federal Student Aid ID (username and password).

Master promissory notes (MPNs) are used for PLUS Loans and allow for multiple years borrowing under the same terms. However, when an endorser is used, the terms of the MPN used for that loan is specific only to that loan. Therefore, a borrower who has previously received a PLUS Loan without an endorser will need to complete a unique MPN for the endorsed loan. Also, any additional PLUS borrowing will require a new MPN and endorser addendum (though the same endorser can be used).

Finally, when the borrower is initially denied and approved through use of an endorser or appeal, the borrower will need to complete the Parent PLUS counseling requirement before the PLUS Loan can be disbursed. This counseling is a review of loan and repayment obligations available at

In cases of a parent credit denial or when an eligible endorser is not available the student will be eligible for an additional unsubsidized loan. Rockford University will be notified and a new award letter with the required documentation will be mailed to the student.

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

Parent and student loan information (Federal Student Loans) will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System.  Guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users will have access to the loan data.  You can review your federal information at