Rockford University Commencement
Coronado Performing Arts Center
Saturday, May 11, 2024
Participation & Eligibility
To be eligible to participate in the 2024 Commencement ceremony, you must meet one of the following requirements:
- All degree requirements completed Fall 2023
- All degree requirements completed Spring 2024
- All degree requirements completed Summer 2024
Students planning to graduate at the end of the Summer 2024 term may petition to participate in the May 2024 Commencement ceremony. In order to be considered, students must:
- Submit an application for graduation;
- Be registered for summer classes;
- Be certified to complete degree requirements by the end of the Summer 2024 term.
Students who meet these requirements may request permission to participate in the May ceremony by sending an email to the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not petition before you have submitted your application to graduate and registered for your summer classes or your petition will not be considered. You should note that participation in the ceremony does not constitute actual graduation. You must complete all of your Rockford University requirements in order to receive a diploma and be entitled to a transcript that indicates graduation.
In order to graduate, you must complete a graduation application using the links below.
IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED TO GRADUATION, YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY AGAIN!
- Graduation Application – BACHELORS (Jotform)
- Graduation Application – MASTERS (Jotform)
- For all Jotforms to be processed, students MUST create an account using their Rockford University email address. (@rockford.edu)
Please contact the registrar with any questions >> email@example.com
A graduation fee is required, which will be added to your account. Please contact Student Administrative Services (SAS) at 815.394.3700 with any questions regarding the application fee.
- Pick up cap and gown. Academic dress is required of all graduates participating in Commencement and Regalia orders must be picked up by May 12 from the Spirit Shop. Graduates will also be able to decorate their caps on May 8.
- On Monday, May 8, all graduating students are invited to decorate their caps from 4-6 p.m. outside the Spirit Shop (first floor Burpee) during Regalia pick-up with free supplies provided by the Alumni office. There will be toppers to decorate (even if you don’t have your cap yet- you can create a topper for your cap and attach it later) and premade designs for you to purchase from our cap decorating expert, Sela Delgado.
- At 5 p.m. graduates are invited to join Interim President Patricia Lynott in the Forrest Cool Lounge (3rd Floor Burpee) to celebrate their accomplishments with a toast.
- Get your tickets. Tickets for the Commencement ceremony are required for all guests of degree candidates for the Commencement ceremony. Each degree candidate will be allotted six tickets for family and friends. Tickets will be reserved for any graduate who submits their graduate application with intent to walk in the ceremony. Tickets can be picked up at the graduation fair.
Tickets will not be available at the door of the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
In order to accommodate your out-of-town family and friends who are unable to attend the ceremony, you may direct them to view the event, which will be streamed live, on our website at www.rockford.edu.
- Help us pronounce your name correctly. If you think we will have difficulty pronouncing your name during the ceremony, please email Tara Vanden Branden at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact her at 815.226.4039 (leave a voicemail if needed).
- Let us know if you need special accommodations. Commencement event location is accessible for those who need special accommodations. Degree candidates who have special needs should notify Tara Vanden Branden at 815.226.4039 or by email at email@example.com.
- Complete the Graduate Information Form. Upon your graduation, you will officially become a member of the Rockford University Alumni Association. The Alumni Office plans great activities such as Reunion, Homecoming, alumni gatherings across the nation, and special events on campus. Please take a moment to complete the Graduate Information Form – www.rockford.edu/academics/commencement/student/alumni-graduate-form/.
- Regularly check your email. Please check your rockford.edu email address regularly leading up to commencement for updates.
- Arrive early. We advise you to plan ahead and grant yourselves enough time to arrive at the Coronado. You and your guests will need to go through a security checkpoint. You will need to line up by 9:45 a.m. and your family and guests will need to be seated by 9:45 a.m. The procession starts at 10 a.m.
- Parking is free and available in the Coronado parking garage on Main Street. Parking information is found at www.coronadopac.org/plan/parkingdirections/
- Wear appropriate academic attire. Each student must wear a cap and gown to participate in the ceremony. MAT, M.Ed., and MBA degree candidates will wear hoods as well.
- Don’t bring personal items. Please do not bring purses or other personal items. Students are asked not to carry anything in the ceremony. There is no place to check in or store purses, coats, or other personal items.
- Check-in at the backstage entrance of the Coronado Performing Arts Center (off of Park Avenue). All degree candidates are asked to report to the back door entrance (off of Park Avenue) of the Coronado Performing Arts Center by 9 a.m. to officially check in and line up for the Commencement procession.
- Follow the order of the processional. Led by the Head Faculty Marshal and the Junior Marshals, degree candidates will process through the corridors and theatre lobby. Faculty will follow the graduates in the procession. The Platform Party, led by their marshal, will complete the procession. When you find your seat, we ask that you please remain standing until instructed otherwise.
- Enjoy the ceremony. The approximate length of the ceremony is two hours. Each student will have their name called, will walk across the stage, receive their diploma cover and a greeting from Dr. Patricia Lynott, Interim President of Rockford University.
- Move your tassel. At the beginning of the ceremony, tassels are worn on the right. Upon direction from the podium, the tassel is moved to the left.
- Do not leave the ceremony prior to its conclusion. As a courtesy to other graduates and their guests, we ask that you remain in your seats until the end of the ceremony.
- Expect your diploma in the mail. Degree candidates will not receive their diploma during the Commencement ceremony. Only the diploma cover will be given. All diplomas will be mailed during the summer months. Please make sure that SAS has correct and updated information (both mailing address and telephone number) for contacting you after graduation. If there is a question about the status of your account, please contact SAS at 815.394.3700 or email SAS@Rockford.edu. It is your responsibility to ensure that your university account is up-to-date prior to Commencement. Diplomas will be mailed during the summer months.
- Order your graduation photos. High Impact Creations LLC, professional photographers will take your photo as you approach the stage and receive your diploma. Photos will be uploaded at Highimpactcreations.com/rockforduniversitycommencement and available to you following commencement. You will be able to download your individual headshots by entering your student ID number when prompted to “Enter a Keyword.” When that happens, any photos that are tagged with your student ID number will be displayed and made available to you to download. There is no charge to have your picture taken.
High Impact Creations LLC, professional photographers will take your photo as you approach the stage and receive your diploma. Photos will be uploaded at Highimpactcreations.com/rockforduniversitycommencement.
They will be made available to you following commencement. You will be able to download your individual headshots by entering your student ID number when prompted to “Enter a Keyword.” When that happens, any photos that are tagged with your student ID number will be displayed and made available to you to download. There is no charge to have your picture taken.
Should you have any questions, please contact the appropriate office below:
Please contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org