Rockford.edu / News
05/31/2019 10:46 am
Rockford University is accepting applications for the position of Graduate Assistant Hall Director to start 8/1/19. The GA Hall Director for Residence Life provides primary leadership and overall management of a residence hall area of approximately 90 students within Residence Life. The position assists in the day to day operation and will report directly to the Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life. This is a required live-in position that involves a level of accessibility and accountability to all students and staff members. The position includes the expectation of eating in university dining operations, when in operation, to promote community development for staff and students. The Graduate Hall Director is responsible for fostering a responsible, inclusive community through developmental based supervision of four – five Resident Assistants. The position is responsible to ensure a safe, comfortable living environment for students through residential programming based on the mission of the University and Residence Life. Benefits include tuition remission, housing, meal plan and monthly stipend.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Counsel, advise and refer residents on varied personal and academic matters.
Leadership & Community Development
• Create intentional interactions with students for growth and development through residential programming.
• Support the mission, policies and procedures of Residence Life and Rockford University.
• Promote and develop inclusive and academically supportive residential environments.
• Monitor and document behavioral concerns.
• Assist with departmental initiatives as needed.
• Actively participate as a member of the Residence Life team and areas of Student Life (Student Involvement & Orientation, Police & Public Safety, Lang Wellness Center, Athletics, Career Development).
• Collaboratively work with Dining, Facilities, Student Administrative Services, Admissions and other campus partners.
• Assist with summer housing operations and camps.
• Assist with management of hall facilities and budgets.
• Assist staff members in assessing student needs and meeting those needs through residential programming.
• Supervise 4-5 Resident Assistants.
• Assist with the selection, training, development, and evaluation of student staff.
• Establish and maintain regularly scheduled office hours.
• Conduct regular 1:1 supervisory meetings with each Resident Assistant.
Crisis Management & Student Development/Conduct
• Adjudicate low-level violations of the Rockford University Code of Conduct and Residence Life policies. Adhering to procedures for communication, tracking, and filing of reports and outcomes.
• Respond to crisis and emergency situations, communicating necessary information appropriately.
• Participate in area on-call rotation including weeknights, weekends, and break periods when the university may be closed.
• Serve as a Campus Security Authority and assist with the process of reporting crimes to maintain accurate and timely crime statistics and to increase overall safety of campus.
• Ability to multi-task and utilize critical thinking skills.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills (in-person and on the phone).
• Prepare check requests and process expense reports.
• Assist with updating Portal, Website, and Facebook accounts through Social Media.
• Work collaboratively with faculty and staff across campus
• Meet 1:1 with Assistant Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life on a weekly basis.
• Attend scheduled Residence Life staff meetings, Student Life staff meetings and campus All-Staff meetings.
• Assist in completing end of semester and end of year reports.
• Assist in annual key audit.
• Assist in overall program planning.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Enrollment in a graduate studies program at Rockford University.
• Ideal candidate will have undergraduate experience in student life/student development and be familiar with residential living/co-curricular activities in higher education.
• Experience in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
• Experience in a variety of social media.
• Must possess valid driver’s license and personal auto insurance.
• Must meet driver insurance eligibility standards of the University.
Please submit resume, cover letter and list of 3 professional references to HumanResources@rockford.edu.
Copyright © 2019 Rockford University, all rights reserved