Director of Student Involvement and Orientation
05/23/2017 3:24 pm
Rockford University invites candidates for Director of Student Involvement and Orientation. The successful candidate provides overall leadership and coordination for a comprehensive campus activities program which includes the planning, implementation, and assessment of social, service and educational programs that address the needs and interests of students. This person leads, plans, and coordinates the student activities programs on campus that will enrich and enhance the student’s overall experience. The Director will supervise student organizations and facilitate meetings and partnerships that will further improve students’ involvement on campus. The Director also coordinates orientation programs for first-year and transfer students. This person also serves as the Burpee Student Center building supervisor and in that role will train and supervise student workers/managers, manage the student center facility, and establish and maintain building policy and procedures. This is a fulltime, exempt position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, market, and implement a comprehensive student activities program for RU students, which includes social, educational, and diverse cultural events.
- Provide leadership and management for student activities.
- Establish student programming goals, policies, and operating procedures.
- Develop methods for evaluating program effectiveness in helping promote holistic learning and growth that supports both the mission of the University and key learning outcomes.
- Lead in the planning and implementation of evening and weekend programming initiatives.
- Advertise and maintain an events master calendar for activities in coordination with the University events calendar.
- Establish and provide oversight for a Campus Activities Board. Mentor and develop student members.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the Student Activities
- Prepare and manage yearly student activity budgets.
- Assist and/or coordinate University events including, but not limited to: RU Celebration, Family Weekend, Homecoming, etc.
- Function as a student development generalist by handling all types of student affairs and student development situations as necessary.
- Serve as a connector for student organizations and University offices.
- Participate in collaborative campus committees and develops professional relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Positive role model for students, demonstrate, cultivates respect for diversity.
- Serve as a coordinator and resource to student clubs and organizations. Facilitate Executive Circle and/or other inter-club/organization meetings.
- Serve as resource to student organizations by meeting with students throughout their event planning process, providing assistance with event details, budgeting, advertising, set-up requests, relevant University policies and serving as a liaison between University offices.
- Coordinate the annual registration process for student organizations, by maintaining officers’ contact information, budgeting, and other materials including membership rosters, constitutions, and other organizational documents. Update policies and procedures for student organizations and clubs.
- Provide specific guidance on issues related to University policies and procedures, contract negotiation and management, as well as risk management.
- Design, coordinate, and implement fall and spring orientation/welcome week programs for first-year and transfer students, working collaboratively with campus partners.
- Coordinate the recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of student orientation leaders.
- Develop comprehensive technology, website, social media, publication plans for content related to orientation/welcome week programs.
- Develop an assessment plan for orientation efforts.
- Responsibly manages orientation/welcome week budget by maintaining appropriate records.
Burpee Student Center
- Serve as building supervisor.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate Burpee Student Center student staff, including one graduate assistant and 30+ student workers
- Serve as a liaison with Facilities, Safety and Security, Campus Scheduling, Food Service, and other offices as it relates to the Student Center.
- Establish and maintain Burpee Student Center policies and procedures.
- Assist in maintaining the condition of all building spaces, furniture, and equipment including, but not limited to, purchase recommendations and inventory.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, College Student Personnel, Student Development or related field required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in student activities, student programming board, student life, campus center, student union or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and able to handle fast paced and intense environment.
- Ability and willingness to work varied hours including evening and weekends.
- Excellent written and oral communication, problem-solving, conflict resolution, planning, presentation, and project management skills.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter indicating salary requirements, resume and list of three professional references to HumanResources@Rockford.edu.