Director of the Jane Addams Center for Civic Engagement
05/01/2017 4:21 pm
Rockford University invites candidates for the position of Director of the Jane Addams Center for Civic Engagement (JACCE). The Director of the JACCE provides vision and leadership for the office; designs, develops, and implements programs, initiatives, and opportunities to encourage and promote a civic engagement mindset amongst students, faculty, and staff; and cultivates partnerships that intentionally connect the curricular and co-curricular as a way to provide a richer collegiate experience for students. The Director coordinates and manages the day-to-day operations of the office, supervises and manages a student staff (consisting of a graduate student, undergraduate students who serve as Jane Addams Fellows, an AmeriCorp VISTA, and a student worker), manages the office budget, and assesses civic engagement outcomes. Position reports to the Dean of Students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and implement programs, initiatives, and opportunities to encourage and promote a civic engagement mindset amongst students, faculty, and staff.
- Support and strengthen the university’s intellectual and academic commitment to civic engagement.
- Foster cross-campus communication and connectivity related to civic engagement activities and initiatives.
- Promote knowledge of and visibility of Jane Addams and her work on social justice issues, both on-campus and to external audiences.
- Partner with Faculty Coordinator of Community-Based Learning (service-learning) to provide support to faculty members and community partners.
- Facilitate partnerships between the university and public and private organizations for service and service-learning, and/or volunteer opportunities.
- Identify opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to engage with national, state, and local issues and promote engagement with said issues.
- Coordinate annual Welcome Week Plunge.
- Coordinate annual Alan Hutchcroft Alternative Spring Break.
- Coordinate events sponsored by the Verstynen Trust Series (i.e. Last Lecture).
- Attend community meetings and events as appropriate and necessary to represent Jane Addams Center support for community/partner organizations.
- Support faculty, staff, and students to publish and present on service-learning and civic education.
- Collaborate with University grant writer to explore funding opportunities.
- Write reports and applications for civic engagement designations.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate student staff (consisting of a graduate student, undergraduate students who serve as Jane Addams Fellows, an AmeriCorp VISTA, and a student worker).
- Master’s degree in college student personnel, higher education administration, educational psychology, educational leadership, counseling, or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in higher education and/or with a community-based, non-profit organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively in an intercultural environment.
- Experience connecting civic engagement to a course (Community-Based Learning).
- Experience working with community partners.
- Demonstrated expertise in civic engagement and higher education.
- Knowledge of current trends in academic service-learning, civic engagement, and co-curricular learning.
- Knowledge of student development theory, learning theory, civic engagement models, service-learning models, cultural identity development theory, and leadership theory.
- Must be able to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with University administrators, faculty, students, and private and public agencies.
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to multi-task, and creativity in program development.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Prior experience working at a small liberal arts college is preferred.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit resume, cover letter indicating salary requirements and list of three professional references to: