Health & Wellness FAQ's

 Question: What should I do if I feel sick?  If you are Ill or Have Symptoms Consistent with COVID-19:


  • Stay in your room/do not come to campus. Do not go to the dining hall or Den, arrangements will be made for food delivery.
  • Avoid close contact with others- stay 6 feet apart.
  • Contact Lang Wellness Center via phone (815) 226-4083 or e-mail during weekdays between 10AM and 4PM. Residential Students please call 815-226-4047 if outside of these hours.
  • Call your medical provider to discuss treatment and testing options. Here is a list of local medical resources including testing sites:  Local Testing & Medical Information for COVID-19/Rockford University
  • Communicate with professors and /or supervisor regarding absence from class or work.
  • If you have severe symptoms such as persistent pain or pressure in the chest, difficulty breathing, bluish lips, confusion or have difficulty arousing seek care immediately at an emergency room or call 911.

Question: Do I have to report if I am positive for COVID-19 or assumed positive?

Answer: Yes. Contact Lang Wellness Center via phone (815) 226-4083 or e-mail  during weekdays between 10AM and 4PM. Residential students please call 815-226-4047 if outside of these hours. Commuter students should email after hours.

Question: Can I get tested for COVID-19 at Lang Wellness Center?

         Answer: Yes. Lang Wellness Center offers a rapid antigen COVID-19 test. An appointment to receive the test must be made with Lang. Students, faculty, and staff will be advised what testing option is best for their individual situation. Students should contact Lang Wellness Center, faculty and staff should contact Human Resources.

Question: I heard someone on campus has COVID-19. How do I know if I was exposed to that person?

Answer: Lang Wellness Center in conjunction with the Winnebago County Health Department has a system in place to identify contacts of a positive or suspected case of COVID-19 in the Rockford Campus Community. If you are identified as being a contact, you will receive an email, phone call, or both with instructions.

Question: I am really nervous about going back to school. Is there someone I can talk to?

Answer: Yes. Lang Wellness Center offers free and confidential counseling services for students.
To schedule an appointment, call (815) 226-4083 or email

Question: Do I have to wear a mask on campus?

Answer: Yes, generally. Masks are required while inside Rockford University buildings and where social distancing cannot be maintained.

  • Masks are not required while eating.
  • Masks are not required while in your own living space.

Academics & Registrar FAQ's

Question: Have there been any changes to the fall 2021 academic calendar at RU?

Answer: No, the academic calendar remains the same as published. A copy can be found on the portal. 

 Question: What are the classroom guidelines for fall 2021?

Answer: Rockford University will continue to monitor guidance from the CDC, Illinois Department of Public Health, and Winnebago County Health Department and adjust practices on campus as needed based on the level of community transmission. Based on the latest guidance, all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear a mask indoors where social distancing cannot be maintained.  Social distancing is defined as being able to be at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people at all times.

Please note: An individual faculty or staff member may, within their classroom or office, request that others wear a mask regardless of vaccination status or ability to maintain social distancing.

Rockford University will monitor our community transmission level daily and will update the campus community per guidance from Winnebago County Health Department, Illinois Department of Public Health, and the CDC.  You can review the community transmission levels here:

Question: Will my professors still hold office hours?

Answer: Yes, instructors will hold office hours, which may be face-to-face, virtual, or a combination.

Question: Can I reach out to my professors with additional questions?

Answer: Yes, definitely! Instructors will be able to provide more details about specific courses and help you be successful.

Question: Will RU continue to provide academic support services?

Answer: All regular services from The Center for Learning Strategies will continue to be offered throughout the semester. Information regarding the Center for Learning Strategies is available on the portal at

Question: What if I need accommodations for an underlying health condition that prevents me from attending classes in person?

 Answer: If you have underlying health conditions that put you in a high-risk category for COVID-19, please contact Lang Health center for accommodation requests.

Question: How will advising and registration for continuing students occur?

Answer: The schedule for Spring 22 will be available on October 1 and advising will start as scheduled. Please contact your advisor, as usual, to set up advising appointments.

Residence Life FAQ's

Question: Will residents have roommates?

Answer: Yes.  Residents assigned to double rooms and suite-style rooms are considered a household unit according to the current guidelines of the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE).  Double rooms will be assigned as 2 students per room and suites as 4 students per suite.

Question: Do I have to wear a mask in the public areas of residence halls?

Answer: Yes.  Face masks must be worn in public spaces in the residence halls if social distancing is not able to be maintained.

Question: Do I have to wear a mask in my assigned residence hall room?

Answer: No.  Residents that live together in a double room or in a suite are considered a household unit.  Residents do not have to wear a face mask when in their assigned room or suite with their roommates/suitemates present.

However, face masks must be worn by all in the room when guests visit.

Question: Can I host a guest in the residence hall, and if allowed, when can they visit?

Answer: Yes.

Guests are permitted each day and must be registered on the Guest Registration form through the Residence Life website.  Roommates must agree to the guests.

Question: What are the requirements for a visiting guest in the residence halls?


  • Guests must wear face masks at all times in the residence hall, including the residence hall room they are visiting.
  • When a guest visits a resident student room those in the room must practice social distancing (6 feet apart).  This also must occur in common areas of the building.
  • Roommate/Suitemates must approve the guest visit.
  • The hosting student must escort/accompanying the guest entering the building, while in the building and leaving the building.
  • Social Distancing Guidelines for Room Occupancy
    • Single Room:  Assigned Resident and up to 4 guests (fire code).
    • Double Room:  Assigned Residents and up to 8 guests (fire code).
    • Suite Style:  Assigned Residents and up to 11 guests (fire code).

Activities and Student Organization FAQ's

Question: Will there be Student Organizations and Activities?

Answer: Student Activities has every intent to host various activities for students this year. We understand these times are ever-changing so we have implemented the following safety precautions:

Social Distancing/Masks-Based on the latest guidance, all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to wear a mask indoors where social distancing cannot be maintained.  Social distancing is defined as being able to be at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people at all times.

Cleaning- All event materials and stations will be thoroughly cleaned before, during, and after the event.

While we understand that COVID will change the scope of our campus events, we are committed to providing fun campus events for all.

New Student Orientation FAQ's

For questions related to either freshmen or transfer student orientation, please visit this link.

Accounts and billing FAQ's

  • Student Account and financial aid information is available any time on your self-service account.
  • Student account information cannot be released to anyone other than the student without written consent.


Question – Why does my statement say payment due August 6, 2021?

Answer – All fall tuition is due in full, or approved payment arrangements must be made, by the statement due date. Payment arrangements in full include completed financial aid, tuition remission, employer reimbursement, or a current payment plan. If the payment plan option is chosen, financial aid must be complete and the first payment and payment plan fee must be received. To setup a payment plan please call 815-394-3700

Question – Why am I being charged for health insurance when I have my own?

Answer – Rockford University requires all full-time students to have health insurance and to ensure this we use a mandatory waiver option.  This means you can waive this charge by providing proof of insurance by going to and completing the waiver form.

Question – Why doesn’t financial aid or loans show on my statement?

Answer – Financial aid, including loans, will appear on your student statement as ANTICIPATED until they have been disbursed to Rockford University.  If you were offered financial aid, including student loans, but they do not appear on your account as anticipated or disbursed, you probably have not completed the process.  Your financial aid award letter and your Federal Direct Loan Request form must be signed and returned to SAS.  You must also have an active MPN (Master Promissory Note) and complete entrance counseling on file (  Please call 815-394-3700 if you have any questions regarding your student loans.

Question – My employer pays my tuition directly or reimburses me for tuition paid. Why am I getting a bill?

Answer – You must have a signed tuition deferment form or a signed tuition voucher on file in SAS verifying that you are receiving tuition benefits from your employer. Employer reimbursement/tuition deferment forms must be completed within 10 days of the beginning of each semester.  If you add or drop courses during the semester you must update these forms in SAS and with your employer.  You will continue to receive a student statement until your account is paid in full.  The forms are located at under the other forms section.

Question – I have tuition remission through Rockford University. Why am I getting a bill?

Answer – This would indicate that we have not received your tuition remission paperwork from the Rockford University Human Resource office or that you have not completed the current FAFSA.  If you have not done so, complete your FAFSA by going to  If you have not completed paperwork with HR, please contact the HR office to verify or complete your paperwork. Tuition Remission does not cover registration fees or any course-related fees.

Question – Why am I being charged a late fee?

Answer – A 1.5% per month late fee may be charged to any account that is not paid in full or does not have completed payment arrangements 30 days after the due date. If you feel that you have been charged a late fee in error, please contact SAS at 815-394-5144.

SAS experiences a very high call volume on a daily basis especially at the beginning of each semester –

You may call 815-394-3700 or email us at, for general assistance with your financial aid or your student account. If calling and you get voicemail, please leave a message including your name, a phone number where you can be reached during business hours, and a brief description of the nature of your call. We will make every attempt to return your call or email within 1 business day.