JANE ADDAMS SERVICE FELLOWS
Students who are entering their sophomore, junior or senior year are eligible to apply for the prestigious Jane Addams Service Fellowship Program. Through the fellowship, students initiate programs on campus that raise awareness about social and political issues. In addition, Jane Addams Service Fellows typically work in meaningful roles with nonprofit agencies that have been identified as Rockford University community partners. There is an application process for Jane Addams Service Fellows and selection is made on a competitive basis. Any full-time student is eligible to apply.
“Jane Addams Fellowship not only offers an opportunity to organize civic engagement events on campus, but it also provides fellows with needed resources to help those who need help at a local, national and an international level. The Jane Addams Center provides its fellows with necessary tools and experience to lead them to make a difference in people’s lives. If you have a passion for social justice and you want to make a real difference in the world, Jane Addams Center is the perfect place. It is our belief that nothing shrivels the meaning of human life like the ignorance of great opportunities for the care of the underprivileged.” —Jane Addams Fellow
Terms of this fellowship include the following:
- Fellows must commit to a minimum of 110 hours per semester providing service on the Rockford University campus and in the Rockford community.
- Fellows must live on campus and have a meal plan.
- Fellows will attend all training sessions, team mettings, and/or 1:1 meetings
- Fellows will complete a Legacy Folder
- Fellows must attend bi-monthly group meetings and individual 1:1 meetings with Director or Graduate Assistant.
- Jane Addams Service Fellows must commit to giving 110% to the program.
- Fellows will be financially responsible for hours not completed by the last day of class.
- Minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA and in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University (will be verified by Donnette Tinsley, Director of Jane Addams Center).
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student with a minimum of 12 college credit hours completed at Rockford University.
- Gain leadership skills in planning an event from beginning to end, including: fundraising, communication, working with others, publicity and marketing, implementation and evaluation of programs.
- Build relationships with fellow team members and community partners.
- Team building opportunities with fellow team members.
- Engage the campus community (student, faculty, and staff) in programs and events.
- Receive a discount of 50% on the cost of a double room rate per semester. If you choose housing different than the double room rate, candidates must see the Director of Residence Life to determine the additional out-of-pocket expense.
2016 Service Fellows:
- Jasmine Fredericks
- Heather O’Connor
- Vanessa Ostrander
- Taylor Pilarczyk
- Jecenia Saldana
- Randi Tucker
Jane Addams Center for Civic Engagement
Burpee Center, Student Life Suite
5050 E. State Street
Rockford, IL 61108