Local collegians for Oct. 14, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
October 14, 2010 12:05 AM
Purdue freshman O.J. Ross (Mainland) had two catches for 18 yards and cracked the block that helped spring teammate Keith Carlos on a 51-yard run as the Boilermakers (3-2) beat Northwestern 20-17. Teammate Ricardo Allen (Mainland) had four tackles.
· Navy (3-2) linebacker Aaron McCauley (Seabreeze) had a team-high 13 tackles, including two for losses, and recovered a fumble in the Midshipmen's 28-27 victory over Wake Forest.
· Northern Iowa's Montari Leonard (Mainland) had a 34-yard TD reception among his two catches for 53 yards in a 45-38 overtime loss to Southern Illinois. Northern Illinois is 2-3.
· Indiana State's Jacolby Washington (Trinity Christian) had four tackles and a pass break-up to help the Sycamores (3-2) to a 59-24 win over Illiniois State.
· Louisville's Johnny Patrick (DeLand) had his second interception of the year and his 20-yard return set up a touchdown in the Cardinal's 59-0 victory over Memphis. Lousiville is 3-2.
· Jacksonville freshman linebacker Mike Klein (New Smyrna Beach) had five tackles, 1 1/2 for loss, and a pass breakup as as the Dolphins (5-1) defeated Drake 38-34. JoJo Fennell (FPC) had four tackles and forced a fumble for the Dolphins.
· Charleston Southern's Andy Brown (Mainland) has punted 22 times for a 34.6 yard average, with seven fair catches and five inside the 20. Charleston Southern is 2-3.
· Rockford College, Ill. (0-5) sophomore Isaiah Whack (Deltona) is third on the team in rushing with 103 yards on 18 carries.
· Defensive end Kyle Mowen (Father Lopez) has 30 tackles and two sacks for Trinity International, Ill. (3-4)
· Kicker Andrew Noboa (Deltona) had field goals of 31 and 24 yards for the only points for Maryville College, Tenn. (1-4) in a 7-6 loss to Shenandoah.
WOMEN'S CROSS COUNTRY
Sophomore Mandy Perkins (Spruce Creek) finished third in the 10-team Florida State Invitational to help the Gators to a fifth-place team finish. Perkins finished the 5K in 17:46.7, just 12 seconds behind winner Shelby Kittrell of North Florida.
MEN'S CROSS COUNTRY
Florida State redshirt senior Justin Harbor (FPC) was named the Atlantic Coast Conference's Men's Performer of the Week for his race at the FSU Invitational. Harbor was FSU's top runner and fourth overall, finishing the 8K in 25:01.02. FSU won the team title.
· Florida Gulf Coast's Chris Rudloff (Mainland) was 53rd in the 21-team Disney Invitational. Rudloff finished the 8K run in 26:40, and FGC was 10th.
Florida State junior Wesley Graham (Spruce Creek) shot a 3-under par 69 in the final round of the Brickyard Invitational at Macon, Ga., to finish tied for 21st with a 218 total. FSU finished third in the 15-team event. Graham has two top-25 and three top-30 finishes this season.
Freshman Katie Lindstrom (Warner Christian) has started five matches for Palm Beach Atlantic (14-3) and has 74 assists, averaging 2.24 per set.
Lenoir-Rhyne sophomore Kelsey Love (Spruce Creek) rallied in the final two sets to win her match over King's Sarah Anderson 2-6, 6-2, 6-2. Love also teamed up to win the first doubles, 8-4, although Lenoir-Rhyne lost 6-3.
UCF junior Eugene Dolgovykh (Matanzas) is 4-3 and won three matches in a row at the C.L. Varner Memorial Invitational at Winter Park.
-- Info for Local Collegians can be emailed to: Sports@news-jrnl.com
This story appeared at http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/college/2010/10/14/local-collegians-for-oct-14-2010.html on October 14, 2010.