Monday, February 11, 2013
Posted by: Human Resources
Job Title: Personal Counselor
Department: Lang Center for Health, Wellness, and
Reports To: Director
of Counseling and Director of Lang Center
FLSA Status: Exempt, 10 months and 2 days per week during
Provide personal counseling and health education
information to Rockford College students, faculty, and staff. Serve as the
expert on disability services including the provision of services to disabled Rockford
College students and the interpretation of policy, procedures and regulations.
This position is housed under the banner of Student Life – Lang Center and is
supervised by the Director of Counseling and the Director of Lang Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide one-on-one counseling to students with case notation and appropriate
documentation of visits
- Referral and advocacy on behalf of clients
- Provide health information and prevention/intervention strategies to
- Provide alcohol/drug use/abuse prevention information and strategies to
campus community and participate in alcohol trainings
- Plan, budget, implement, and assess programs related to disability
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations regard
disability services such ADA
- Provide advocacy and accommodations for students with disabilities as
they interact with each other, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities in working
with faculty, staff and students with diverse backgrounds including academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, sexual orientation, and disabilities
- Consult and utilize industry resources and attend
conferences from professional organizations such as AHEAD
- Works as part of the Lang Center team to provide
services and education to students as well as develop the appropriate web pages
for your specific area
- Coordination of web resources for screening and
- Develops library of resources – pamphlets, books, and
other printed information
- Participation and support of Lang Center events such as
groups, health education
- Other duties as assigned
This position is part of the Lang Center
team and would be responsible for some supervision of graduate assistants and
student workers as assigned. QUALIFICATIONS:
accepts, and agrees to practice the Ethical Principles and Standards set forth
by the American Counseling Association
of principles and practices of personal, emotional and academic counseling.
of methods and techniques of program development.
of best practices and legal requirements of the American with Disabilities Act.
to interpret College policy, procedures, and regulations.
energy self starter; must be able to take initiative with minimal guidance and
be comfortable working both as an individual and as part of a team.
- Strong verbal and
written communication skills
interpersonal skills with various stakeholders.
Effective time management skills.
- Minimum three years professional experience in social service setting is
- Master’s degree required – in social work or related counseling field (or
if individual is working toward completion of supervision hours, intern would
be supervised by MSW, LCSW)
While performing the
duties of this job, employee is regularly required to use hand-eye dexterity,
talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands
and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, and kneel.
The incumbent may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Employees work in a
professional office environment that is highly visible to members and the
college community. Normal office conditions prevail. Office work is performed
primarily indoors. Ability to be
available at times outside normal working hours (mainly in emergency situations
or to access the well being of a community member) is a must.
Employee has access to
sensitive student information. A high
level of trust and confidentiality is required.
Interested candidates should provide a letter of interest
and resume to:
Cecelia Bristol,firstname.lastname@example.org, Lang Center for
Health at Rockford College