Reference and Instructional Librarian
Wednesday, July 02, 2014
Reference and Instructional LibrarianSummary:
We are seeking an energetic, innovative Reference and Instructional librarian to develop and coordinate a dynamic, interactive information literacy and library instruction program in accordance with national standards, and principles of instructional design. Our objectives for this program are to promote information literacy/fluency, critical thinking, and research skills through multiple modalities and in collaboration with academic and administrative departments.
Masters degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program
· 3+ years in public services at an academic library.
· Teaching group and individuals.
· Experience with electronic resources, interlibrary loan, and circulation.
· Working knowledge of national standards and principles of the instructional design of Information Literacy/Fluency programs.
· Methods of developing, implementing, and maintaining outcomes assessment measures.
Hours: Full time with possibility of some evening or weekend hours. This is a 12 month contract, tenure track, faculty position and the minimum starting salary for an Assistant Professor is $40k. This position is budgeted at, or slightly above the minimum.
Location: Howard Colman Library at Rockford University
Reports To: Library Director
The Reference and Instructional librarian will be responsible for:
· leadership for traditional and emerging library reference services inclusive of the Information Literacy/Fluency Program;
Providing individual and group instruction in information literacy skills as well as the use of reference and research tools and the research process, both in general and in subject-specific settings
create, develop, and deliver workshops, tutorials, and related instructional guides on library resources and library research methods to students in person and online
· developing and implementing outcomes assessment measures and maintaining detailed records for assessment of the Libraries' instruction and orientation programs;
· working with the other librarians and appropriate faculty, staff and administrators to integrate information literacy into the university curriculum;
· contributing to collection development of print and non-print resources;
· coordination of circulation, interlibrary loan, and reserves;
· serving as faculty liaison to an appointed academic division;
· leading a staff of circulation, inter-library loan, and work-study employees;
· collaborate in strategic planning, policy formulation, and budget allocation with other professional Librarians.
Additional duties include (but are not limited to):
· A strong public service orientation and the ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
explaining and assisting in the use of information resources in all formats; explaining and assisting in the use of library equipment;
Experience with current technologies, especially those relating to instruction through innovative service delivery methods to users on campus and off
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- The ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
· Knowledge and awareness of current academic issues as they affect library resources, operations and services, specifically issues related to library instruction and information literacy.
Rockford University's search committees and hiring managers are especially interested in candidates who through their research, teaching and/or service will contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
Materials submitted for all positions should include a cover letter, resume, official transcripts and the names and contact information of three references. Applicants for academic positions must also provide evidence of academic or teaching philosophy and experience.
Rockford University is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, submit items via e-mail to Librarysearch@Rockford.edu. Review of applications is ongoing and will continue until position is filled.
Rockford University: http://www.rockford.edu/
Colman Library home page: http://www.rockford.edu/?hcl