|Home > Community Education > English Language Institute > International Provisional Guidelines
Students whose first language is not EnglishThe university encourages applications from a diverse population and recognizes that, for some prospective students, English is not the first language. Through the admission evaluation process, the university may determine that, although students are academically prepared for university course work, their knowledge of and skills in written and spoken English are not sufficient for participation in university level classes.
Applicants who may be included in this group are foreign nationals and other non-native speakers, as well as immigrants who have citizenship or legal resident status. In such cases, non-native English speaking international applicants to Rockford University will be granted provisional admission to Rockford University pending verification of the following:
As a provisional admit, the student would be required to begin their studies at the appropriate level of Rockford University’s I program. The student would be provided with an I-20 tying their ELI studies into a four year degree program. The student’s provisional status will be removed and they will matriculate into accredited course work after the following stipulations have been met:
- The student meets the specified grade point average requirement for admission (undergraduate admission requires a 2.65/4.0 or greater for first-year applicant, 2.3/4.0 or greater for a transfer applicant).
- The student provides proof through a notarized affidavit of support and official bank statements that they can afford to pay for a year of tuition after any and all merit-based financial aid has been factored in.
- The student has submitted all additional materials outlined above to the school.
- The student’s TOEFL score is below the accepted score of a 77 (Internet-based test), the IELTS (academic version) score is below the accepted 5.5 band score, or the student cannot provide Rockford University with a TOEFL score for unique reasons.
- Declaration of a major.
IELTS is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia, and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations.
- The student has successfully completed their required studies in the English Language Institute at Rockford University;
- The student has provided the school with an official and appropriate TOEFL or IELTS score.