IT: Information Technology
Rockford University Information Technology provides our campus community with:
- network and internet connectivity
- computer classrooms and labs
- our internal website--the portal
- electronic resources such as e-mail, our course scheduling system, and our emergency notification system
- the support of the IT Staff
Our hope is that all members of our campus become an active participant in our evolving digital community. Rockford University accounts are issued to all University faculty, staff, and students to access online tools. Individuals are provided with a username and password necessary to access the Internet, email, personal space on network servers, and other computing resources.
Information Technology Use Policy
Rockford University’s Information Technology (IT) supports the academic mission of the University by providing access to technology resources, facilities, and information essential to teaching, learning, research, and general scholarship. The IT Center, located in the lower level of the Howard Colman Library, is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure, facilities and resources of the campus network, computer labs, and technology services. IT policies promote access while preserving resources. Read the entire Information Technology Use Policy.
Important Rockford University Technology Tools
- think.rockford.edu – “think” is the Rockford University Portal that provides community members with single-sign-on access for email, Self-Service and is the campus communication platform for events, important dates and alerts. The Portal also has resources available from all University departments.
- Self-Service provides our learning community at Rockford University with "anytime, anywhere” access to key information services. Self-Service provides the online tools necessary to access up-to-date records of course schedule, financial aid, grades, and registration.
- Moodle is the online learning management tool used to support blended and online learning at Rockford University. Moodle is web-based and used by faculty to post online course activities and resources.
- RU Alert is a subscription-based emergency alert system, available through the Rockford University Portal, for students, faculty, and staff at Rockford University. In the event of an emergency, the University community will be quickly informed of such through recorded voice phone messages sent to landline and/or cell phones, text messages, and e-mail messages. In addition, alerts will be posted on the Portal, public website, and sent to the news media.
Campus Computer Labs
There are various computer labs available for use by members of our campus community.
- 108C Starr Science Building – the General Computer Lab is available to all RU students, faculty and staff. This Lab is staffed by a Lab Assistant whenever it is open and contains 17 PCs with internet access, the Microsoft Office Suite and computer software used in classrooms. The General Lab hours are: Monday through Thursday 7:45 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 7:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The General Lab is open an additional 2 hours each night the before and the week of finals.
- Lion’s Den – Nine computers are located on the lowest level in the Lion’s Den. The area is open 24x7 and is monitored by a security camera. These machines have internet access, the Microsoft Office Suite and a printer.
- Library – There are 27 computers located on the first floor of the Howard Colman Library with internet access, the Microsoft Office Suite and printing capability.
Wireless Internet Access
WiFi access is available in all academic buildings, residence halls and administration buildings. Students can log into the Rockford wireless network with their username and password.
IT Help Desk
The IT Help Desk is located in the lower level of the Howard Colman Library (east entrance). The Help Desk is staffed Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Students may request assistance by calling the Help Desk at 815-226-4127 or via email at email@example.com. Additionally, technology guides are available on the Portal to assist students with the following: Password Management System, forwarding RU e-mail, and setting up RU email on a mobile device.