RU MENTOR CONNECTIONS
(First-year students, first and second year transfer students, with fewer than 30 credit hours)
RU Mentor Connections is a student mentor program designed to assist all new students in their transition to university life. Every new student will be assigned to a mentor group during orientation and will receive continued support throughout the fall semester. All new students will have opportunities to interact on a one-to-one basis and in group settings with their student mentors (upper-class students). Student mentors are here as a valuable resource to answer questions, listen, become a trusted friend, and to:
Each day during orientation you will meet in small mentor groups with your first-year advisor and orientation leaders and have the opportunity to get to know everyone in your group, to ask questions, discuss your academic pursuit, and learn more about making connections within the Rockford University community.
- Introduce and integrate new students into the Rockford University community
- Provide support and information from a student perspective
- Assist new students in building strong connections with faculty, staff and students so they will develop an investment in their own academic success
- Foster friendships with new students, returning students, faculty and staff
- Create a sense of belonging and overall (positive) feeling about their university experience
- Increase students' knowledge of academic resources available on campus
The RU Mentor Connections program continues after orientation
to provide you support in a variety of ways:
- Meet weekly with your first-year advisor, student mentor and mentor group
- Social events/activities with your student mentor and mentor group
- Get to know your student mentor, ask questions, learn from their Rockford University experiences
- Become involved in campus activities, clubs and organizations
Your role as a new student:
- Participate in Orientation, Mentor Connections, and campus activities
- Ask questions, be informed
- Build friendships with your student mentor
- Be respectful; when you receive an e-mail, voice-mail or text, be courteous and send a reply
We are so excited that you have joined us at Rockford University!
If you have questions, please contact the Student Mentor Team Leaders Torie Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ed Tatera at email@example.com.
RU Mentor Connections is sponsored by the Office of Student Success and Retention.