Home > Academics > Departments > English > Classroom ObservationsINTRODUCTION
The English department recognizes the important contributions that peer review can make toward improved teaching and curricular practice. For new and veteran instructors alike, peer review can be a valuable component of assessment of teaching. The English department invites all fellow faculty members to observe any of its classes throughout the fall and spring semesters.
For purposes of uniformity, consistency and transparency, we are providing below a procedure and reporting mechanism for all English department classroom observations. The reporting form is free of discipline-specific terminology because we would like to welcome the participation of colleagues from all academic specialties. We can only benefit from the one-on-one discussion about teaching that we hope our procedure will foster.PROCEDUREBefore the observation
During the observation
- The observer and instructor will schedule the class observation and observation review in advance.
- The instructor will provide promptly the observer with the following materials:
- a course syllabus;
- relevant class-session materials;
- a short write-up that furnishes an overview of the session content and identifies the objectives of the session;
- a blank ‘English Department Classroom Observation Report’ form (see below).
After the observation
- The instructor will introduce the observer to the students and explain the purpose of the visit;
- The observer will not participate in the class session unless agreed upon with the instructor in advance.
Click here download the classroom observations form.
- The observer and instructor will meet to discuss the observation report;
- The observer will provide the instructor with the signed observation report;
- The instructor or the observer may submit a copy of the signed observation report for purposes of department, tenure, or promotion review.